My 5 Favorite Free Things to Do at Disney World
Welcome to the next stop on Magical Blogorail Orange. Today we are discussing Freebies at the Disney Parks.
What can I say, I’m a frugal traveler. I love finding ways to save money on all my trips without sacrificing the fun and spontaneity of a well-deserved vacation. But in all honesty a vacation to Walt Disney World is going to be expensive, but believe it or not there are actually free things to do there. All of the free things on my list require no admission fee or parking fee and can be done by anyone whether you are staying on Disney property or not. I showed you My 5 Favorite Ways to Save Money at Disney World so now here’s my list for my 5 favorite free things to do.
5. Watch Fireworks from Disney’s Boardwalk Visiting any Disney Resort is free even if you are staying off property. Parking is free to visit any Resort hotel unless you want to pay for valet parking. (Although valet parking is free for those with handicap parking permits or tags) Disney’s Boardwalk Inn & Villas has a very fun and lively entertaining district on the backside of the Resort. It’s free to walk around and enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of waterfront entertainment. It is also within walking distance to EPCOT. So what my favorite thing to do here is, take an evening stroll here and stay to watch the Illuminations fireworks that happen nightly at EPCOT. You can view the fireworks from anywhere on the promenade or from the bridge that is between Boardwalk Inn and Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club. It’s a great way to relax at the end your day without worrying about being herded out of the park after the fireworks.
4. Take Pictures of the Animals at Animal Kingdom Lodge My son and I absolutely love Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge! Not only is it a beautiful resort with some amazing restaurants, it has some great free things to do there as well. The Animal Kingdom Lodge has four separate savannas that are home to more than 36 species of animals and 26 species of birds. While it doesn’t have all the animals that Animal Kingdom has to offer, it has plenty of animals to photograph and observe. There are lots of viewing areas inside and outside of the resort. There are also some wonderful cast members around that can help you identify the animals and give you information about them.
3. Eat Free chocolate at Ghiradelli at Downtown Disney If you don’t know by now, Downtown Disney(soon to be Disney Springs) is a great way to get your Disney fix without entering any of the parks. Parking is free and they have some great shops and amazing restaurants. While eating at restaurants and shopping is not free, did you know you could get free chocolate at Ghiradelli? When you enter into the shop side of the store there is usually a cast member with a basket of Ghiradelli squares. Now it’s usually one square per guest so don’t get greedy but who doesn’t love free things especially when it Ghiradelli chocolate!
2. Play with Legos at Downtown Disney So I’m sticking with Downtown Disney and giving you a free activity that you can do while you are there to shop or dine or just people watch. At the Lego Store there are stations set up outside that have legos that will keep your little ones or kids at heart entertained. They even have Lego car races every once in a while!
1. Spend the day at Fort Wilderness I have stayed at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campsite a few times. Even though I am not a fan of camping, I really enjoyed the quietness of Fort Wilderness after a busy day at the Parks. There are plenty of things to do at Fort Wilderness. While some of these things require a nominal fee, they have some really great free activities as well. There are nature trails and a horse barn but probably the best free activity is Chip and Dale’s Campfire Sing-a-long. It is usually held nightly near the Meadow Trading Post. You can bring your own marshmallows to roast on the fire or buy them there. There is a Disney cast member who hosts the sing-a-long and of course Chip and Dale are there too! If you are not staying at Fort Wilderness, you do need to factor in some time to get there. Whether you are taking Disney transportation or driving, you will end up at the Outpost Depot first which is the main parking lot then transfer to an internal bus system to get to the Meadow Trading post or the Settlement Depot which is the main resort area.
Thank you for joining me today. Your next stop on the Magical Blogorail Loop is Bibbidi Bobbidi Booze.
Here is the map of our Blogorail should you happen to have to make a stop along the way and want to reboard: